Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Travel Week #2: Budapest and Prague

This past week I traveled to Budapest, Hungary, and Prague, Czech Republic. Both of these countries are located in Eastern Europe, meaning they both have very recent historical significance.

Budapest: 

I had not given much thought to visiting Budapest, Hungary before I came on my study abroad trip. That being said, I am very happy to have done so. The Hungarians are a proud group of people, which is not surprising seeing as how they were once one of the great powers of Europe. Something I learned while in Budapest is the city is actually comprised of three separate cities: Buda, Obuda, and Pest. In November of 1873, the three cities were unified into one giant metropolitan region that occupied both sides of the Danube River.

While wandering the streets of Budapest, you can see the remnants of a more recent era of communist control. All of the bridges connecting the two parts of the city were completely destroyed when the communist party was fleeing the region. The House of Terror Museum is located in the same building that was once occupied by the State Security (Hungarian version of the KGB). Once you look past the darker, more recent past of Budapest, you are able to appreciate Budapest for its very own, unique Hungarian history. The architecture is much different than what you would see in other European cities such as Paris or Italy. The people living within the city have moved on from their dark past and are focused on the future. There are countless buildings being remodeled and prepared for new, more modern industries. There are World Heritage sites seemingly around ever corner to explore.

Looking across the Danube River at the House of Parliament 
Prague: 

Prague was one of the cities I had wanted to visit most during my study abroad trip. I had heard that it was a great city with a lot of cool things to see and do. The city definitely did not disappoint! 

The city of Prague is inhabited by over a million people, not the biggest capital city but good-sized. I was amazed at how clean the city was compared to other cities I have had the opportunity to visit while in Europe. Just like Budapest, Prague has seen its fair share of change. According to our tour guide, if you were a middle-aged Prague citizen, you would have lived in seven different countries. - A tumultuous past to say the least! The country has been taken over, reclaimed, and taken over again by multiple countries throughout time. The country of the Czech Republic is actually only eighteen years old. If I were to have lived in Prague since I was born, I would have gone from living in a tightly controlled communist country to living in a newly formed Parliamentary Republic. 

I cannot even being to describe how much there is to see and do in this city. Between the historical sites and nightlife, a person could spend months experiencing new parts of the city. My travel group definitely tried our best to fit in historical and leisurely time while in Prague!

The results of our crossbow shooting tourney-Ainsley won.

I am back on the CIMBA campus now, preparing for the final 14 days of class. Yes, I only have two weeks left of class before finals! I cannot believe how quickly this study abroad experience has gone by! That being said, I am looking forward to traveling to Barcelona, Dublin and Berlin for the week after classes get out and then heading back to Lubbock to see my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment